Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"Teacher's Favorite Things": My first song parody!

Toward the end of the school year I began writing a parody of "My Favorite Things", called "Teacher's Favorite Things". If you're a teacher, I'm sure you can identify with the song, especially if you teach the young ones. This is the first time I've ever attempted a song parody, and Chris thinks that it came out really good! So here it is:

Teacher's Favorite Things
(new words by Lisa Knight)

Pencils and papers and drink spills awaiting
Cleaning my desktop and markers for grading
Testing and homework and taking up things
These are a few of my favorite things

Office referrals with bullies and schemers
Actors and class clowns and cheerleading screamers
Thinking and wondering what each day will bring
These are a few of my favorite things

Tough boys and jockeys and girls with their glamour
Fibbers, and tattlers, and correcting grammar
Simply awaiting the school bell to ring
These are a few of my favorite things

When the kids leave
When the day ends
When I’m feeling stressed
I simply remember my favorite things
Hoping I did my best


Spelling and writing and English and grammar
Science, mathematics and teaching them manners
Recess and playfights and pushing their swings
These are a few of my favorite things

Numbers and letters and history’s datings
Lectures and workshops and artists creating
Reading and gym class, and students that sing
These are a few of my favorite things

Breakfast and bathrooms all need supervision
Icebags and band-aids will treat the incisions
Planning and coping and tying shoestrings
These are a few of my favorite things

When I fall back
When I break down
When I’m feeling sad
I simply remember impressions I made
And then I don’t feel so bad!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer Olwin said…

    Nice work, Lisa Knight! I have a few close friends who are teachers, all of whom would thoroughly ken on to every line. My personal favorites:

    "Tough boys and jockeys and girls with their glamour
    Fibbers, and tattlers, and correcting grammar"

    Made me laugh... and I love the description. It's so human.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Haikal said…

    hi there, I'm Haikal from Singapore and a teacher-to-be.

    may i seek your permission to use your parody for a part in our skit for a teacher-scholar presentation ceremony? i will gladly provide more details upon request.

    it's very good and i like it alot. :)

    you may contact me at yeohaikal@gmail.com

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger MadameF said…

    Hi There I am a high school teacher in CT and wanted to let you know that I found your lyrics online and it inspired me to write some original ones and sing it for the district on the first day - so thank you!

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger MadameF said…

    Hi There I am a high school teacher in CT and I found yor lyrics which inspired me to write originals and sing the song for the district on the first day - so thanks!

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Hakai,

    I'm sorry, but I just now got your message. Please feel free to use the parody.

    MadameF,

    Please share your original. And how did the first day of the district go.

    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home