Monday, January 16, 2006

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Movie and the Book

I really enjoyed the movie The Chronicles of Narnia. For the most part, it follows the book very well. But I wonder: "Where is the emotional/musical impact?" When Aslan is revived, that moment should be phenomenal. I remember Gandalf's moment in The Two Towers much better than this one. Gandalf arrives in Helm's Deep, charging down the hill in pure glory after he was killed by the Balrog. Where is there any sense of feeling like that in Narnia?

The characters in the movie were very close to the ones I had in my head from reading the book. I didn't expect Peter and Susan to act so grown-up though. Lucy and Edmond were right on target. Lucy is definitely my favorite character in this story. She has so much faith and appreciation for the world around her. I'd like to say I identify with her somewhat. Susan is very wise, and only uses her head. Peter becomes very brave. Edmond, of course, I think is the Apostle Paul in the story. He is the forgiven one, and uses that to change his ways. Liam Neeson was a great pick for Aslan, with his strong innocent voice. The witch seemed just as I thought, very beautiful, but cold. Mr. Tumnus is delightful. Oh and who can forget those Beavers: two peas in a pod.

Overall, Narnia was a great movie. I can't wait for my favorite books of the series to go on film, The Horse and His Boy, and The Last Battle. I hope the music will be better equipped for these films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home